Sunday, July 13, 2008

TWO CHILDREN - A HAIR RAISING EXPERIENCE!

Okay, okay....Virginia here.....no, I did not shave my head! Having a computer guru for husband really comes in handy! A little photoshop and presto - I am bald! Sorry, Cai...mommy loves you...but she just couldn't do it!



Things are going well, here. We are finding our way and learning how to now be a family of four. The differences between Tri and Cai are amazing; they are such different children. It is still very early days with Cai and she is beginning to be a little more animated, but she is much quieter and docile than her ham-bone brother. She is starting to smile though and I am sure that, as she relaxes and feels safe and secure, this will continue. Right now she sleeps, eats and cries. She loves to be held, however, and we pick her up, she stops. That is a good sign. She just needs a lot of love! And she came to the right place!



My mom says it used to take me an hour to drink one ounce; I think Cai is my pay-back. She is a SLOW eater! This can be really nice during the day as you can sit and sing and chat with her and get some really nice bonding time. The hour-plus-per-bottle isn't so nice at night. She eats every 2 hours and it takes an hour to drink! Thank God there are two of us; we are a great team though and I am so grateful for John.



Having said all that, Cai is an angel. She is such a blessing and, when she smiles, she melts your heart. I held the two of them at once today (see picture). It was amazing: two incredibly special and wonderful children at once. And they are ours. I was a little overwhelmed and I got choked up; it was a beautiful moment.



We were talking to friends today and they asked what we do every day.

I just laughed.

DO? We had visions of traveling Vietnam, getting to know our children and their country.  Boy were we wrong! We spend our days at home. We sing a lot, dance with the kids, play on the floor, read books, change diapers, clean bottles and do laundry. And that is it! We go out for a walk at dusk; it is cooler then and very pleasant. It has become my favourite time of the day. Other then that, we can manage one adventure per day. Sadly, that often means a trek to the grocery store - how exotic - and travel seems a distant idea thought up by someone else. I have to say, we really don't mind. The best adventure is just staying home with our kids! I am sure that as Cai finds her rhythm, this will change. Right now, as she continues to heal, she needs to sleep a lot. And so we are lying low.



We are really looking forward to getting home to Jakarta. I really hope this happens soon; I have been away for a long time now and I miss our beach house, our friends and familiar territory. This has been wonderful, but it just isn't home. We hope to find out this week when our signing and receiving ceremony will be; keep your fingers crossed that we will be going home soon!

6 comments:

  1. Whewwwwwww....glad to see you haven't 'lost it'.........the hair that is. The four of you make a beautiful family. Thankfully, Cai is out of hospital and where she belongs. Huggssss to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I still want to know about the Mohawk cut! Pictures please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...ah, never mind. I thought it was Virginia that had had the Mohawk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've posted before... but I've been following your blog since you were referred little Cai. I am so glad to see that she is doing much better, is in the arms of her loving parents, and that you are all adjusting. I hope you are able to return to your home in Jakarta soon. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Jules
    PAP - VN - expecting a referral call any day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Virginia...glad you had sense enough to keep your hair...us bald guys get frustrated when people clop off perfectly good hair....

    Can't wait till you guys get back to Jakarta. Tika, Kayla and I checked out your place at the beach and were picturing the four of you there hanging out...gonna be great.

    Hope you can stop by our house for swim as well...

    Cheers,

    Scotty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...I don't kow what to say... I was so inspired by Ginny's bravery and apparent selfless act of motherly love that I was soooo close to joining you all in an act of solidarity. Or not...LOL...good choice on keeping your lovely tresses Ginny. Babies are supposed to be bald anyways! Actually Tri already has more hair than Jeremy. He lost a big patch on top of his head soon after he was born, from dry flaking skin. He kinda looked like Friar Tuck!
    You tell that little cutie Cai not to worry, she will be sporting her beautiful shiny black tresses in no time at all.
    You guys make a handsome family, congrats again and again : o )

    ReplyDelete