Monday, July 7, 2008

Excuse me, is this bed taken?

A few days back, Cai's nanny tried to communicate to me about a room change. As I said before she said she would be moved yesterday. At the time, she motioned to the bed and held up three fingers. I thought that this meant that she would be moved to a room with three beds, though I said to Virginia that maybe she meant three kids to a bed. Well, it turns out that little voice in my head was indeed correct. When I arrived today, she was indeed in a new room with about 6 or 7 beds in the room. Each bed was occupied by two babies. The photo below is what greeted me....Cai asleep beside another little baby in the arms of her mother or nanny.
The great news is that she really is getting stronger each day. I had thought they had removed her pick line, but I was mistaken. It is still in her foot, but I didn't notice it yesterday as it was hidden by her sock.
I had requested to the doctor on Saturday that when she was able to be moved to another room, that she be moved to a private room and that we would cover the cost. But the nanny didn't know this and so it didn't end up happening today. Loan, our representative here in Saigon spoke with her on the phone so she is arranging for her to be moved tomorrow. I should say one of the reasons I am impressed with the care at the hospital is because health care is free for all of these children. It is as a result of this that the crowded conditions prevail. Our concern at the moment is that she may catch another bug from one of the many babies/adults in the room, and thus our strong desire to get her into a private room as quickly as possible.
Last Saturday, we went in to see a pediatrician for Tri's rash. It turns out he still had scabies. So last night, we treated him again and spent the last 24 hours boiling clothes and bedsheets. We hope that will spell the end of the scabies for Tri, so that we can begin anew with Cai as soon as she gets home.

1 comment:

  1. Our son, who was 3.5 months when we arrived in Saigon, was in the same hospital with pneumonia. Have you had to a special room to do a mask treatment? That was an adventure! People were lining up outside the door to peek through the gaps in the frosted glass window for a glimpse of me giving our son the mask.

    Say hello to Loan from me if you get a chance!

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete