Sunday, July 6, 2008

6 More Days Turns to 5


Yesterday, while visiting Cai, we were told by the nanny that it would be only 6 more days, which would put us at 5 more today. Of course we were also told that she would be moved to a different room today, so when I arrived today, I was fully expecting an adventure as I would have to somehow find this new room.Unfortunately, I had no such adventure as she was still in the same room. I looked for doctors but unfortunately I could not find any, so I was unable to ask why or get any further updates.One thing I want to clarify, it may from time to time seem as though I'm not happy with the care that Cai is receiving. This is not the case. I would be quite happy if we could get the same care but in a different location. Today I could not find a doctor, however, in the past I have seen some babies in great distress, and out of nowhere, about 6 doctors were surrounding the baby. The mother was forced to leave the room as she bawled outside. But the baby survived. I've seen several hour old babies brought in to Cai's room, and they've all gotten better.Last post I mentioned the two rats that ran by as I was on the phone. Perhaps the reason it was only 2 rats is because of the cats which are also present in the hallways. The one pictured was up on the 2nd floor.Today Cai slept in my arms for about two hours, so I had plenty of time to think. It occurred to me that although she has been very sick, and we're not the ones in control, we're actually very lucky. It is rare that it is possible to adopt two children at once. If we were residents of Canada, it would not have been possible at all. Since we are resident in Indonesia, Vietnam was able to consider the request for two children simultaneously. I think the fact that we live in Asia may well have helped. But also, the fact that Cai has been so sick, means that they recognized that she needed personal care immediately. Many studies have shown that love and attention are just as important as drugs in a young babies health. Since we were already in Vietnam, and we had been pre-approved for adopting two children I think that tipped the scale in our favour.Interestingly enough, Canada has been getting a bit of a bad rap here in Vietnam for not accepting some children that are less than perfectly healthy. Some parents are requesting 2nd physicals or 2nd opinions be offered. This creates extra work for the orphanage and may be having a negative effect for Canadian couples. Given that we had already excepted Tri (who had previously been rejected by 4 other couples for medical reasons), this also may have contributed to our being offered Cai to adopt.




Whatever the reasons, we certainly feel very blessed. It has also been amazing to see the change in our children's health since we've come in contact with them. It is not uncommon for children to die because of pneumonia while in the adoption process. We are eternally greatfull for the decision to give Cai to us. It may well have saved her life.The great thing about the fact that Cai is off oxygen, means that we can get her out of her room. I prefer to go out to the balcony. It has a nice cool breeze which I think is refreshing for her, and most certainly for me. It also gives her something new to look at, and oddly enough it is much quieter out there, as most people stay inside the hospital rooms. I figure it is also healthier out there, with less possibility of other children's germs getting her sick again. In this photo you can see the courtyard 3 floors below. The circle in the center is a fountain. As I said I had two hours with her in my arms, so not only did I have lots of time to think, I had plenty of time to take self portraits :)

No comments:

Post a Comment