Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Life's A Beach!

Boy, did I NEED some adult company. I didn't realize how much until I met Annie and Terry, a Canadian couple from Montreal. They are here in Vietnam with their daughter Mya and now they have a new addition to their family: a wonderful little boy they call Lyam. I liked Annie and Terry as soon as I met them; they both have a great sense of humour and we get along very well. So well, in fact, that we just spent 3 days together at a beach called Mui Ne. It is about 4 hours from Saigon; they were planning on going and they asked me and the kids to come along. And we did! I have to say, however, traveling is just not the same with two babies - we had so much stuff! Above is a picture of Annie with SOME of our stuff! Holy over-packing Batman!
And the beach was lovely - white sand as far as the eye can see, deep blue sky, warm breeze, and did I mention there were ADULTS THERE??? Anyone who is a stay-at-home parent will understand. I absolutely love my children, but it can be pretty challenging (and lonely) being here without friends or family. We spent our days swimming in the pool and our evenings having dinner with Terry, Annie, Lyam and Mya.



As you can see below, Tri (as usual) was the life of the party - dancing on tables and such. Cai, however, had a little too much wine with dinner and passed out in her pram!


We stayed at a hotel/resort called the Seahorse. It is very nice, right on the ocean. But I don't recommend it; the owners were really out for money. I think it is a little over-priced for this part of the world and, get this, when we decided to leave a couple of days early, they were going to charge us for nights we DID NOT stay. What???
Terry and Annie went to the front desk to tell them that we'd be checking out the next day and upon hearing this ridiculous news, Terry called me in my room and told me to come to the office and "raise a fuss". Well, did I!! It was great!!! I laid it on THICK, vented all of my frustrations about being here alone, pulled out the old acting skills and let her rip! It was very cathartic. And, they finally agreed. To tell the truth, I think they were just a little bit afraid of me (and Annie, she is no slouch).


It was fun.
And boy, did I need it.


But, all in all the beach trip was fun. We swam a lot - both Cai and Tri love the water, I am happy to say. The only problem was that Cai was just not feeling well - she had a lingering reaction to her mega-vaccine (she had five in one - we will NEVER do that again). She wouldn't eat and I was worried. I am happy to report, however, that  she is MUCH better now that we are home! Whew!

But then, it might just be like John says: Cai is fussy, she cries a lot, and she is difficult.....hmmmmm.......like mother like daughter? Perhaps.

On another note, Tri now has TWO TEETH!! Hurray for Tri. Sadly, he is really suffering. Poor little boy. It really hurts! And when Tri gets crying, his sister likes to join in (out of sympathy).


And a final word - daddy comes in two more days!!! We can't wait. We love you daddy (John). xo

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait either. One more day of school and then I'm out of here. It was nice looking at the kids on the beach in the pool. I can't wait till we all get back to Jakarta and get down to our place at Tanjunglesung!

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you get freezies there. An unopened freezie or anything similar works great for teething. So does an ice cube tied in a cotton baby sock. Just make sure that it is tied tight enough so that the ice cube doesn't escape... Both are teething lifesavers..

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 babies!
    thats quick going and news to us
    congratultions

    sayonara

    Pete

    ReplyDelete