Friday, June 27, 2008

A Full Day at the Hospital

Since Virginia had a chance to spend time with Cai yesterday and I had father-son bonding time, today was my turn to head to the hospital. I had mixed emotions about going. I certainly thought that since she was our little girl that we should go and spend as much time as possible with her. But at the same time, she isn't yet our little girl, and we can't give her the care we want to.
We've been busy getting Tri rid of scabies, and
we don't want to contract it ourselves and then give them back to Tri. So I wasn't sure how long I would stay with Cai today.
However all of that changed within the first half hour of being with her. I've held many babies in my life and thought they were cute enough; but I certainly wasn't that fussed about them. I've never been the type of person to say "oh, let me hold the baby". I've always been willing to help out, but it's never been a strong desire of mine.
Below is a photo of Cai. You can see the oxygen in her nostrils, the pic line (for the IV) in her hand, and a little green and purple fan that I brought today to keep her
cool. Beside the fan is little "Purple", Virginia's special little lamb (a gift from our nephew Christopher).
Well within that first half hour, Cai entered my heart and is now most definitely my little girl. In April, our good friends Eric and Kathy and their two kids Josh (2 years) and Natasha (5 months) came to visit us from Australia. We spent a little over a week at our beach house, and it was funny how over the course of that week that their little girl grew on me. Well it only took a few minutes for Cai to grow on me and is now indelibly stamped in my heart.
I was impressed at how responsive she was. She makes good eye contact and was able to follow objects with her eyes. She seems to be a good size (it's hard to believe she is two months younger than Tri) but she clearly does have pneumonia. I had the opportunity to speak with the Doctor today. She speaks English quite well. She explained that as soon as Cai is able to get taken off oxygen, then she can be discharged from the hospital (and I assume we can take her home). When prompted for how many days that would be, she wouldn't say. Let's hope it is soon!

Below is a shot of Tri in the bathtub. Every night he is coated in a cream that is supposed to kill the scabies and then in the morning, Tri needs to be bathed to remove the cream. We have been moving him from one blanket to another and one carriage to another as we try to clean everything he touches to remove the scabies.

Below is a shot from when we had already moved from one carriage to another, and so we used the "Baby Bjorn" to carry him. The good news is that tonight was his last treatment!

No comments:

Post a Comment